Hello there, Miami. I’m here in your inbox today to tell you everything you need to know about what’s going on in town. Keep scrolling for the scoop.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the Miami Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
First, today’s weather:
An a.m. shower; partly sunny. High: 89 Low: 79.
🏡 Looking for more real estate leads in Miami? Let us help you reach prospective home buyers and stand out from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories today in Miami:
1. A judge unsealed the search warrant executed by the FBI earlier this week at Former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, which shows the former president of the United States is under investigation for possible obstruction of justice and potential violations of the Espionage Act, according to court documents. (West Palm Beach Patch)
2. The Broward County School District is asking voters to double the tax rate to help cover the costs of teacher raises and more school security staff. Unfortunately, the Spanish version of the ballot question was botched and the district is now trying to correct the error. (WPLG Local 10)
3. Pembroke Pines police say 28-year-old Daniel Lamont Gray Jr. caused malicious and intentional harm to his 8-month-old pit bull terrier Jack, which resulted in the dog’s death. Gray is being charged with felony aggravated animal cruelty. (NBC Miami)
4. Surfside commissioners voted 3-2 in favor flying the Pride Flag next year during Pride Month in the South Florida town. Mayor Shlomo Danzinger said if city leaders decided to fly the flag that it would open a Pandora’s Box for the city include a Satan flag.(CBS Miami)
5. New York City’s famous Italian restaurant Rao’s is coming to Loews Miami Beach at 1601 Collins Ave. The original is 126-years-old and comes from Harlem and also has locations in Vegas and Los Angeles. (Miami New Times, Time Out)
Today in Miami:
- Baking in Historic Places at Fruit & Spice Park. (9 a.m.)
- Rosa Sky Rooftop Host Its First Tiki Fest For National Tiki Day With Unlimited Tiki Drinks. (9 a.m.)
- South Beach Boat Party at Sea Isle Marina & Yachting Center. (10 a.m.)
- Mermaid Cupcakes Class (Ages 2-8 w/ Caregiver) at Taste Buds Kitchen. (10 a.m.)
- MOCA Makers: Portrait Painting at Museum Of Contemporary Art. (1 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Educators are returning to Miami-Dade County Public Schools classrooms and filling them with the magic that helps students thrive. The first day of school is Wednesday, August 17, 2022. (Miami-Dade County Public Schools via Facebook)
- Miami-Dade Parks is seeking multiple Recreation Leaders for various parks, as well as an Administrative Support Specialist. Apply today). (Miami-Dade Parks via Facebook)
- Miami City Commission approved on first reading two planning and zoning requests related to Miami Freedom Park in a recent meeting. The vote was 4-1. (Miami Today)
- Mazeh comes from NYC-based hospitality group, GPG Hospitality, and is now located at YOTEL Miami hotel at 227 NE 2nd Street in Downtown Miami. (Eater Miami)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- XXVII International Ballet Festival of Miami / Etoiles Classical Gala (August 13)
- Coconut Grove Artisan & Farmers Market (August 14)
- XXVII International Ballet Festival of Miami / Closing Gala of the Stars (August 14)
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (August 17)
- Online Webinar with specialists for Invisalign in North Miami, FL (August 17)
- Add your event
Thanks for following along and staying informed. See you all tomorrow for another update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos…